The deadline to begin using the revised Form I-9, officially known as the Employment Eligibility Verification Form, is November 1.
Why the Change?
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regularly updates the Form I-9 to ensure that it reflects current requirements and remains a reliable tool for verifying the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires. The new form condenses the I-9 into a single-page verification, removing redundancies and making it easier to use.
What You Need to Do:
- Start Using the New Form: As of November 1, 2023, employers must use the revised Form I-9 for all new hires and re-verification.
- Train Your HR Team: Make sure HR is properly trained in completing the updated form.
- Maintain Compliance: Ensure you have a clear process, including timely completion, proper storage, and document retention.
- Stay Informed: Regularly check for updates from USCIS to ensure ongoing compliance with federal regulations.
- Review Existing Records: Review previous Form I-9 records and re-verify existing records as needed.
What If I Have Questions?
Requirements are constantly changing. If you need help staying up to date and implementing needed changes, or if you have questions about these changes, reach out to our Eli HR Advisors.